Marco Lombardo, MD, PhD
Ophthalmologist and eye surgeon
PhD in Biomedical Engineering and Computer Science
Marco Lombardo is expert and innovator of corneal surgery techniques for treating keratoconus and refractive errors of the eye.
He is pioneer of advanced refractive surgery for myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism and corneal cross-linking for keratoconus. Dr. Marco Lombardo is author of several scientific publications and books on these fields of research. He is regularly invited to International Conferences and to hold seminars at the most important clinical and research centers in the world.
Dr. Marco Lombardo is expert in corneal laser refractive surgery, treatment of corneal diseases, such as keratoconus, cataract surgery, treatment of retinal diseases and pediatric ophthalmology.
Dr. Marco Lombardo devotes particular attention to the treatment of irregular astigmatism caused by keratoconus or corneal transplant. He holds a significant experience in the transepithelial corneal cross-linking technique with iontophoresis for keratoconus and in the femtosecond laser assisted treatment of irregular astigmatism caused by corneal transplantation.
Dr. Marco Lombardo is registered in the Order of Physicians-Surgeons of the Province of Rome with registration number M50316. He performed more than 3000 surgeries on the anterior segment of the eye, mainly cataract surgery and corneal surgery.
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ESCRS).
- Optical Society of America (OSA).
- The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO).
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO).
- Società di Oftalmologia Italiana (SOI)
2004 – 2007: PhD in Biomedical and Computer Engineering at the “Magna Græcia” University of Catanzaro. Dissertation of the thesis “Study and design of an innovative system for measuring and correcting the wave aberration of the human eye”.
1999 – 2003: Specialization in Ophthalmology and Ocular Surgery with 50/50 cum laude at the Catholic University of the Sacred Heart in Rome. Dissertation of the thesis “Optical Aberrations from the corneal surface and their treatment”.
1993 – 1999: Degree in Medicine and Surgery with 110/110 cum laude at the University “La Sapienza” of Rome. Thesis dissertation on the use of a visual rehabilitation technique in patients affected by hereditary central retinal degenerations.
2011 January: Specialization course for the use of the Intralase iFS 150kHz femtosecond laser platform at the Abbott Research and Development Center in Barcelona (Spain).
2010 October: Advanced course on lamellar keratoplasty techniques (Deep Anterior Lamellar Keratoplasty) and DMEK (Descemet Membrane Endothelial Keratoplasty) at the “Netherlands Institute for Innovative Ocular Surgery”. (NIIOS), directed by Prof. Gerrit Melles.
2009 April and 2008 May: visiting surgeon at the Devers Eye Institute – Corneal Services (Portland, Oregon, USA), directed by Prof. Mark A. Terry, the first surgeon in the United States to perform endothelial lamellar keratoplasty (DLEK, DSEK and DSAEK).
2001 June: visiting doctor at the Instituto Oftalmologico de Alicante (Spain), directed by Prof. J. Aliò. The Vissum Institute obtained, first in Europe, the Health Quality Certification of the Joint Commission Accreditation of Health Care (FDA-US).
Dr. Lombardo’s clinical researches are aimed at developing new tools for early detection of retinal and optic nerve diseases using adaptive optics technology. Dr. Marco Lombardo is involved in the development of new treatments for keratoconus (personalized corneal cross-linking), and for the prevention of age-related macular degeneration (scleral iontophoresis).
Dr. Marco Lombardo has published more than 85 scientific articles in peer-reviewed journals and 6 chapters in the book. He is a member of the editorial board of the Journal of Ophthalmology and is a reviewer for more than 20 international scientific journals.
Dr. Marco Lombardo periodically receives awards for the results of his scientific and clinical achievements.
- Short biography published in the last 6 editions of “Who’s Who in the World”, published by Marquis Who’s Who.
- Third Prize for the best Scientific Research Project SOI 2013 by the Italian Society of Ophthalmology.
- Short biography published in the “Medical Science Award of Excellence 2011 for professional contributions to the well-being society” by the American Biographical Institute, San Francisco, CA, USA.
- Short biography published on the editions of 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 of “Who’s Who in the World”, published by Marquis Who’s Who, New Providence, USA.
- Scientific biography published in the “21 st Century Award for Achievement” by the International Biographical Center of Cambridge (UK).
- Scientific bibliography published in the “2000 Outstanding Intellectuals of the 21 st Century” by the International Biographical Center of Cambridge (UK).
- Winner of the “Reggio Innovazione Award” – Category “Scientific results of applicative relevance” by the Chamber of Commerce of Reggio Calabria.
- Scientific bibliography published in the 9th and the 10th edition of “Who’s Who in Science and Engineering” published by Marquis Who’s Who.
- Appointed “International Health Professional of the Year” by the International Biographical Center of Cambridge (UK).
- Scientific bibliography published in the first edition of “Outstanding Scientists of the 21 st Century” published by the International Biographical Center of Cambridge (UK).
- Honorable mention for the best poster of the Refractive Surgery session during the International Congress of the European Society of Refractive Surgery and Cataract.
- Receives the Degree Award named after Prof. R. Caminiti, as the youngest and best graduate in Medicine and Surgery of the Provinces of Messina and Reggio Calabria.